Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 hours at moderate heat
Ingredients for 6 persons:
- 1 KG sauerkraut, preferably from the barrel
- 600 G pork shoulder or from the rump
- 4 medium onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 15 juniper berries
- 500 G potatoes
- 0,75 L dry white wine
- 4 pairs of smoked sausages according to taste
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- possibly some salt
- a little sugar for the cabbage
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, preferably lightly crushed cubeb pepper
Cut the onions into ¼ slices and caramelise them with a little butter and sugar in a large pan. First put a layer of cabbage in the dish. Add the sausages, meat, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Add some potatoes cut into pieces. Pour in the white wine. Fill the dish layer by layer with cabbage and ingredients, pouring wine in between.
Cover the dish with the lid and put it in a preheated oven at 180°C. After 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150°C.
After 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150°C and leave to cook for 2-3 hours.
The spices can be added as a bouquet garni, so that the aroma is distributed throughout the dish.